2617 N. Edgewater Drive | Fayetteville, NC 28303 | email@example.com
Thomas H. McKinney enjoys tutoring and teaching math, science, and computer languages. He plans to return in late 2019 as a full-time math and science tutor for students in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Most of his career work has been in the field of Environmental Science and Engineering. In addition to tutoring students in Chapel Hill, he works as a part-time math instructor at Mathnasium of Apex, NC. Mr. McKinney has a B.S.E. in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
Work & Other Activities
- Environmental Engineer, North Carolina DEQ (2016 - April of 2019);
- Water quality inspections and reports - located in field office (Raleigh region); and
- Multi-media inspections for air/water/land/waste (agency halted this program in 2017).
- Science Teacher, Lee County High School, Sanford, NC (2015);
- Biology and Earth & Environmental Science.
- Website Design and Development (2007-2016);
- Developed introductory training courses for website development, programming languages, and iOS applications using Objective-C and swift.
- Environmental Engineer, NC DEQ Fayetteville (1999-2006);
- Air quality inspections, reports, and permits - located in field office (Fayetteville region).
- Environmental Engineer, NC DEQ Winston-Salem (1996-1999);
- Air quality reports and permits - located in field office (Winston-Salem region).
- Environmental Engineer, NC DEQ Raleigh (1993-1996);
- Air quality engineering reviews and permits - located in central office in Raleigh.
- Chemical Engineer, Radian Corporation, Research Triangle Park, NC (1991-1993);
- Provided environmental compliance assistance and technical support to chemical manufacturing clients; and
- Assisted in development of U.S. EPA air quality regulations.
- West Coast Manager - Environmental Training, IT Corporation, Cerritos, CA (1990-1991);
- Conducted environmental compliance training courses for clients located in California; and
- Developed and conducted chemical emergency exercises and simulations for training purposes.
- Chairman, Louisiana Emergency Response Commission, Baton Rouge, LA (1988-1990, non-paid position);
- Chaired 15-member "Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know" commission;
- Directed efforts for broad-based participation in statewide emergency planning, training, and community right-to-know about chemicals in the environment;
- Air Toxics Coordinator, Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality, Baton Rouge, LA (1990);
- Coordinated intra-agency efforts to develop Louisiana's new air toxics program; and
- Developed and conducted training courses for air toxics & chemical accident prevention programs.
- Research Associate, LSU Institute for Environmental Studies, Baton Rouge, LA (1985-1989);
- Provided scientific support for oil and hazardous chemical spills and Superfund waste sites under NOAA & EPA contract;
- Developed and conducted training courses in environmental chemical hazard assessment;
- Physical Scientist, NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab, Ann Arbor, MI (1983-1985);
- Provided scientific support for oil and hazardous chemical spills in Great Lakes region;
- Conducted chemical emergency planning activities for Ports of Toledo, Detroit, Boston, and Baltimore;
- Taxicab Driver, Veterans Cab and Yellow Cab, Ann Arbor, MI (1974-1977); and
- Gas Station Attendant, Clark Service Station, Ann Arbor, MI (1973).
- NC Teach Program, North Carolina State University in Raleigh, 2015;
- Computer Science 110, 401, & 426, University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, 2012-2013;
- Chinese Language 101, University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, 2012;
- B.S.E. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor in 1982;
- Graduated from East Lansing High School in East Lansing, MI in 1972; and
- Graduated from St. Thomas Aquinas School (K-8th grade) in East Lansing, MI in 1968.